martes, 2 de noviembre de 2010

Sinners in the hands of an angry God

It is very difficult for me even try to "dig" into all the dark corners these two versions of the Sermon present. I truly dislike the idea of listening to one man who is telling me time and time again that I am bound to condemnation just because someone chose the right passages of a certain book just to illustrate his thesis.

I have to confess that I am a true believer in God but not on the institutionalized church. I believe in God even if my logic should be totally against my belief. I believe in God because I understand there has to be something or someone way beyond our comprehension that is the beginning of the few things we can see and the enormous number of things we can’t even perceive.

I was taught about the life and teachings of Jesuschrist. I was also taught about sin and punishment. I always thought there had to be something wrong with the message when it was moving from the book to the people listening to it. The people who were supposed to teach us about love, forgiveness and understanding; used the words to threaten us and make us feel we always had something to be sorry and ashamed about.

The only one who didn't threaten, who got along with everybody, who was happy forgiving the ones who felt they were unclean and full of guilt; the one who I decided to follow was the one who has always been (in my opinion) severely misquoted and whose message has been distorted and contaminated so many times by falsely righteous people that was converted into a weapon instead of a way to peace and understanding.

I reject the sermons built on guilt and used as a structure to put a simple man in a high place to look at the people who is listening to him as lesser, impure beings, it doesn't matter how clever or informed he may be, and how intelligently he used his words. I don't think we are sinners in the hands of an angry God. My God is not angry even if many people has worked a lot to make him look like that. I believe in the God I have seen in the eyes of Mother Teresa, the one who took Saint Francis of Assisi by the hand... the one who didn't need more than a stone to sit on and some common people to listen to him. And His teachings are the only ones I try to follow. The only thing I know is that an angry God would not teach you about forgiveness, humility, generosity, respect and caring for the others.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario